4th Grade Social Studies
A curriculum for 4th and 7th Grade Texas History that explains the roll the Texas Longhorn played in defining the history of Texas, may be downloaded for use by any teacher, homeschooler or persons seeking educational materials to share with children. Also linked, are suggested activities and teaching aides that parallel the curriculum. A comprehensive history lesson is available that weaves in the Texas Longhorn beginning in 1521 through present day.
Recommended audio/visual teaching aids are linked in the Audio & Video section of the Education page.
Enrique Guerra History of Texas and Texas Longhorn cattle – video
Red Steagall History of Texas Longhorn -video
Vaquero Texas History – video
Texas History and Social Studies
- Longhorn History (.pdf)
- Curriculum (.pdf)
- F1 cross study
- Map of Spain (.pdf)
- Brand Activity (.jpg)
- Tracks .pdf)
- Last 5000 (.pdf)
- Wikipedia Chinook explanation
- Cattle introduction to Americas map (.pdf)
- New Spain map (.pdf)
- Loading horses diagram (.pdf)
- Hat Styles (.jpg)
- Spurs (.jpg)
- Spanish Lasso (.jpg)
- The Spanish Cowboys Who Fed An Army by Karen Schwartz An account of the first grand-scale cattle drive from 1779 to 1782, some 9000-15,000 head of cattle were trailed from Texas to Louisana to feed Galvez’s Spanish army that were fighting against the British. The Texas Longhorn contributed to the American Revolution.
- See How Texas Beef (partially) helped win the American Revolutionary War 2018 Houston Chronicle article by Craig Hlavaty
- A Refuge for the Longhorn Article by Judy Kaye O’Dell
7th Grand & High School Science and College level Breeding Selection Practices
- Horn Genetics (PowerPoint) + Bos Taurus Horn Genetics Worksheet (pdf) –Middle School Science, Grade 7 112.19.b Science Lesson in Genotypes and Phenotypes; Punnett Square exercise in inheritance percentages
- Base Color (PowerPoint) + Bos Taurus Base Color Genetics Worksheet (pdf) –Middle School Science, Grade 7 112.19.b Science lesson in heredity; genes, chromosomes, nucleus, alleles Punnett Square exercise in predicting color allele combinations –High School Biology 112.34.c Nucleic acids, Mendelian Genetics, commonality of genetic code
- Bos Taurus DNA Genetics (PowerPoint) + a) scatter plot 1 (pdf) + b) DNA plot 1 (pdf) + c) DNA plot 2 (pdf) + World Map (pdf) –High School Biology 112.34.c Components of DNA, gene expression, evolutionary theory: DNA fingerprinting, genetic modifications, and chromosomal analysis are used to study the genomes of organisms.
- Natural Selection 1 (PowerPoint) + Comparing Longhorn & Hereford Traits Worksheet (pdf) –Middle School Science, Grade 7 112.19.b Science Lesson in Genetic variations within populations Natural Selection versus Selective Breeding –High School Biology 112.34.c In depth study of Natural Selection, taxonomy and hierarchical classification
- Natural Selection 2 (PowerPoint) + Comparing Cattle & their Ecosystems Worksheet (pdf) –Middle School Science, Grade 7 112.19.b Science Lesson in genetic variations within a species, Natural Selection, heredity and biomes –High School Biology 112.34.cNatural Selection causing changes in populations, environmental resources resulting in differential reproductive success, adaptation and diversity
- Four Part Series on Breed Conservation Practices by Phil Sponenberg DVM, PhD
Conserving Endangered Genetic Resources Part 1 (PowerPoint)
Breed Conservation Discovery Part 2 (PowerPoint)
Breed Conservation for Security Part 3 (PowerPoint)
Breed Conservation for Sustainability Part 4 (PowerPoint)
- Conservation Genetics Edited by V. Loeschcke, J. Tomiuk & S.K. Jain
- Tenacious Beasts: Wildlife Recoveries That Change How We Think about Animals by Christopher J. Preston A book about endangered species that are defying the odds that teaches lesson about how to share the planet.